Mohs micrographic surgery is utilized to treat skin cancers located on cosmetically sensitive areas of the body, particularly the face. Mohs is also used for high-risk, complex and recurrent cancers. When compared to any other modality available for skin cancer removal, Mohs micrographic surgery offers the highest cure rate.
Mohs is the only method that evaluates 100% of the surgical margin. The physician uses a microscope to trace the cancer down to its roots. This technique allows the surgeon to identify and remove the entire cancer and leave behind only normal, healthy tissue. This is an advanced surgical procedure where the physician functions as the oncologic surgeon, the pathologist and the reconstructive surgeon.
Question: Why should I have Mohs surgery as opposed to a traditional excision in the operating room?
- Superior cure rate
- Maximal tissue conservation and likely smaller scars
- No need for general anesthesia
- Low cost relative to surgery in hospital operation room
- Stitches (usually 2 – 3 weeks)
- Skin graft or flap (usually 3 – 8 weeks)
- Granulation (usually 4 – 12 weeks)
- Suture removal, 7-10 days following a procedure on the face or neck; 14 days following a procedure on the body or extremities
- All patients are advised to schedule a 3-month post-operative follow-up appointment with our practice
- After the wound has healed, patients should return to their referring physician for their annual skin cancer screenings
- Eat a good breakfast in the morning and take your regular medications
- Avoid aspirin-containing products or ibuprofen/NSAID- containing compounds 7 days prior to the surgery
- Avoid alcoholic drinks the night before the surgery
- Come in comfortable clothing
- Bring reading material, an IPad, a laptop, DVD player, etc. to keep yourself occupied between the Mohs stages
Dr. Khorasani removed a melanoma from my arm and a basel cell from my neck which was more extensive than originally thought. I was petrified with the melanoma diagnosis even though VERY early stage. He and his staff were beyond comforting...
- Susan O.